There is no greater atrocity than the continual violation of our religious freedom and inherent right to partake in sacred ceremonies without being spiritually violated, or suffering from the destruction and blatant disregard of our sacred lands.
These Sacred lands are the bloodline and life way of our people and our traditions.
Bear Butte is a sacred mountain located in the Black Hills, eight miles east of Sturgis, South Dakota.
Bear Butte is sacred to many of the Plains Tribes, who continue to travel to the mountain each summer to pray and hold their annual ceremonies.
The blatant disregard for the spiritual beliefs and ceremonies of Native People and the sacredness of this mountain is evidenced by the increased presence of bars and large concert venues, excessive motorcycle noise pollution, helicopters, flashing strobe lights over the mountain and intoxicated campers nearby.
Each August, the Sturgis Bike Rally increases the population of Sturgis from 6,600 people to 500,000 literally overnight.
Traditional people travel to Bear Butte for annual ceremonies and to worship, from May through the end of August. Each year people are violated in ceremony with the extreme noise and commotion that the Rally brings towards the sacred mountain.
- Full Throttle Saloon making a comeback, same name, new home
- Buffalo Chip owner requesting electronic billboard
- Second Part of Oil Drilling Hearing, May 18th
- Compromise on oil drilling
- South Dakota Panel Delays Decision on Bear Butte Oil Field
- Official endorses special rules if Bear Butte oilfield OK’d
- Photos of Oil Drilling Rigs Near Bear Butte
ACTION ALERT! BEAR BUTTE ~ OIL DRILLING<<
- Bad News for Bear Butte – House Bill 1119 Passes 48 to 22
- ACTION ALERT! BEAR BUTTE ~ URGENT! ACTION NEEDED BY THIS WEEKEND!
- Update regarding oil drilling at Bear Butte
- Update November 22, 2010
- Action Alert! ~ Petition Stop Oil Drilling at Bear Butte
- Map of Gullickson Oil Field Next to Bear Butte
- Companies plan oil wells near Bear Butte
- Response to: FORMAL REQUEST: Documentation on Meade County Regulations for "Not a Suitable Location"
- FORMAL REQUEST: Documentation on Meade County Regulations for "Not a Suitable Location"
- Update on Bear Butte: Hearing Meade County Commissioners 12-2
- Bear Butte Update: Upcoming Hearing Meade County Commissioners 12/2
- Commission grants Glencoe liquor applications
- Commission delays action on Glencoe Camp Resort liquor license transfer
- Sacred Sites -vs- A Modern Day Disease, Greed
- Action Alert! and Upcoming Hearing June 2nd
- Meade County Commission rejects Sturgis annexation proposal